Must be passionate about storytelling.
"Must be passionate about storytelling."
I read that line on job listings constantly, and I want to name what it's doing.
Passionate, adjective: we would like you to accept less money.On a requirement for accounting, "must be passionate about spreadsheets" is never written. Nobody asks a lawyer to prove they love the law before discussing the rate. That framing is almost exclusively used for creative work and serves a specific purpose:
It transforms your skill
into your identity, which is notoriously difficult to quantify. In the
meantime, I found a content lead position paying up to $358,800 plus equity the
same week I read that listing. It did not once mention passion. It mentioned the band.
That's the tell. The roles that respect the work name the
number. The roles that need you
emotionally invested are managing a budget problem with adjectives.
You can love the work
and still be expensive. The best writers
I know are deeply passionate people who send extremely unsentimental invoices.
Love the craft. Charge for the labor. Both.
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment